Skip to main content

Davenport High School Classes of 1932 & 1939 Collection

Identifier: 2016-32

Content Description

Five class reunion booklets from Davenport High School's classes of 1932 and 1939 documenting current names and addresses of classmates, reunion dinner menus, etc.


  • 1962-1994

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Materials are available for use in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center only.

Request permission before copying materials.

Personal digital cameras and scanners are allowed in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center on a case-by-case basis. The items that a researcher may want to scan or photograph must be examined and evaluated for physical condition, copyright issues, and donor restrictions by staff.

Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

The copyright law of the United States (title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material.

Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

Biographical / Historical

Davenport High School (now known as Davenport Central High School) opened in 1907. Some of the notable events that occurred during the 1930's are: 1930: New gym and administrative building were added. Gymnasium was dedicated to George Edward Marshall, the current principal. Gymnasium is considered one of the finest in the Midwest. Old gym in the main building was converted into a modern cafeteria. 1932: George Marshall dies in office in December of 1932. 1933: First football homecoming game held. A.J. Naumann takes over as principal. 1935: Homecoming dance first hits DHS. Paul Moon, with help of Bill Rivikin and Lenvil Simmons, lead an effort to adopt the Blue Devils as the DHS mascot rather than the Imps.


5 Volumes (All items in one folder)

Language of Materials


Physical Location

Range 42 Section 1. Shares box with 2016-20 and 2016-22.

Immediate Source of Acquisition


Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center Repository

321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490 United States

About the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center:

The Special Collections Department of the Davenport Public Library was established in 1982. In November of 1999, the newly renovated department opened to better serve its community and was renamed the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center. The Center acquires, arranges, describes, preserves, and makes available local history and genealogical materials concentrating on those pertaining to Davenport, Scott County, and Eastern Iowa.

Books and other printed materials in the collection can be found using a Library Search. For additional digital resources, browse the Upper Mississippi Valley Digital Image Archive. For more information about specific subjects relating to Scott County History, please browse the Research Guides.
Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center
Davenport Public Library
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490
(563) 326-7902