Skip to main content

J.H. Hunzinger and Company Photographs and Scrapbooks

 Collection
Identifier: 1992-07

Scope and Contents

This collection is made up of photographs and information regarding specific projects while the Hunzinger Construction Company was still located in Iowa. Many of the projects are local buildings.

Dates

  • 1876 - 1893

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Materials are available for use in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center only.

Request permission before copying materials.

Personal digital cameras and scanners are allowed in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center on a case-by-case basis. The items that a researcher may want to scan or photograph must be examined and evaluated for physical condition, copyright issues, and donor restrictions by staff.

Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

The copyright law of the United States (title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material.

Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

Biographical / Historical

Hunzinger Construction Company is a fourth generation, family-owned company that has continuously served the construction industry in Southeast Wisconsin since 1907. Founded in Iowa by brothers John, Frank, Fred, and Charles, who wanted to leave their farm lives behind, the company was called J.H. Hunzinger and Company. They began modestly by building one-room schoolhouses and homes using mule teams to do everything from hauling materials to digging basements. Twenty-one years later in 1928, one year before the stock market crash, Frank and Fred Hunzinger moved to Milwaukee and initiated their own construction firm – Hunzinger Construction Company. Together, they took on new projects, first building schools and churches, and later office buildings and manufacturing plants. Their survival and flourishing growth following The Great Depression years allowed the company to thrive and expand, completing projects from Minnesota to Texas.

Extent

5 Box(es) (4 archive boxes and 1 Oversized box)

Language of Materials

English

Physical Location

Range 37 Section 2

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift

Source

Creator

Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center Repository

Contact:
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490 United States



About the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center:

The Special Collections Department of the Davenport Public Library was established in 1982. In November of 1999, the newly renovated department opened to better serve its community and was renamed the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center. The Center acquires, arranges, describes, preserves, and makes available local history and genealogical materials concentrating on those pertaining to Davenport, Scott County, and Eastern Iowa.

Books and other printed materials in the collection can be found using a Library Search. For additional digital resources, browse the Upper Mississippi Valley Digital Image Archive. For more information about specific subjects relating to Scott County History, please browse the Research Guides.
Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center
Davenport Public Library
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490
(563) 326-7902
specialcollections@davenportlibrary.com