Davenport Hospital; Sarah Foulks, M.D.; Stokley
Scope and Contents
Collection of nine images taken in 1911 and 1912 of the Davenport Hospital, nurses home, and staff members. The hospital and nurses home was located on East 29th Street (East Twenty-nineth Street).
- circa 1911-1912
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials are available for use in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center only.
Request permission before copying materials.
Personal digital cameras and scanners are allowed in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center on a case-by-case basis. The items that a researcher may want to scan or photograph must be examined and evaluated for physical condition, copyright issues, and donor restrictions by staff.
Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.
The copyright law of the United States (title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
Biographical / Historical
Sarah Elizabeth Foulks was born on October 12, 1880 on the family farm in Burlington Township, New Jersey, the second of four sisters. She and two sisters attended Normal School. She later attended an osteopathic type program, and then Women’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, graduating in 1907. According to the family story, she and several other doctors started the Davenport Hospital after that. They trained nurses there, including her sister-in-law “Motz” Martha Stokley who then worked in Europe during World War I. Martha later married Robert McCosh and lived in Davenport.
Sara headed the American Women’s Hospitals in Athens, Greece in the the early 1920’s-a volunteer effort to aid Greek refugees returning to Greece from Turkey. She received a medal from the Greek king-and was let go due to lack of funds.
Dr. Sara E. Foulks appears to have made Davenport, Iowa her home from 1911 until 1924.
Sara spent some years working at Elwyn Training School outside Philadelphia. She retired about 1950 and died in 1962.
9 images (in 1 folder.)
Language of Materials
Range 37 Section 8
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center Repository
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490 United States