Skip to main content

Oakdale Cemetery correspondence and receipts

 Collection
Identifier: 2010-14

Scope and Contents

Correspondence selected from discarded Oakdale Cemetery (Oakdale Memorial Gardens) records as a representative sample of the cemetery's business transactions, correspondence regarding cemetery lots, and receipts for the design, construction, and maintenance of the public mausoleum, 1930-1939.

Dates

  • 1916-1939

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Materials are available for use in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center only.

Request permission before copying materials.

Personal digital cameras and scanners are allowed in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center on a case-by-case basis. The items that a researcher may want to scan or photograph must be examined and evaluated for physical condition, copyright issues, and donor restrictions by staff.

Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

The copyright law of the United States (title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material.

Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

Biographical / Historical

Oakdale Memorial Gardens, formerly Oakdale Cemetery, was established as a non-profit cemetery by a group of Davenport businessmen as an alternative to the overcrowded Davenport City Cemetery and the for-profit Pine Hill Cemetery, and was incorporated as the Oakdale Cemetery Company May 14, 1856. The cemetery board hired Captain George F. de la Roche, who had finished the design of Oak Hill Cemetery in Washington, D.C. five years earlier, to complete the design and platting of the cemetery. It was designed as a rural or garden cemetery, but it transitioned to a landscape-lawn cemetery beginning in the late 19th century. The community or public mausoleum was designed by Davenport architect Seth J. Temple, and was known as Oakdale Abbey. The non-sectarian mausoleum was built in the early 1930s.

Extent

1 Box(es)

Language of Materials

English

Physical Location

Range 37 Section 08

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift

Creator

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center Repository

Contact:
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490 United States



About the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center:

The Special Collections Department of the Davenport Public Library was established in 1982. In November of 1999, the newly renovated department opened to better serve its community and was renamed the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center. The Center acquires, arranges, describes, preserves, and makes available local history and genealogical materials concentrating on those pertaining to Davenport, Scott County, and Eastern Iowa.

Books and other printed materials in the collection can be found using a Library Search. For additional digital resources, browse the Upper Mississippi Valley Digital Image Archive. For more information about specific subjects relating to Scott County History, please browse the Research Guides.
Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center
Davenport Public Library
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490
(563) 326-7902
specialcollections@davenportlibrary.com