Beiderbecke & Miller Grocers building-by F. Claussen
Scope and Contents
This collection contains 1 cd-rom of Fr. Claussen architectural drawings of the Beiderbecke and Miller Wholesale Grocery building  and 2 drawings from 1870.
- Creation: 1870-1874
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials are available for use in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center only.
Request permission before copying materials.
Personal digital cameras and scanners are allowed in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center on a case-by-case basis. The items that a researcher may want to scan or photograph must be examined and evaluated for physical condition, copyright issues, and donor restrictions by staff.
Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.
The copyright law of the United States (title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
Biographical / Historical
Frederick George (Fritz) Clausen (1848-1940) was born in Germany and came to Davenport, Iowa in 1870 after receiving his education and training in architecture. Clausen’s first job was as a draftsman for T. W. McClelland, a contractor-builder. He then established his own practice after only one year with his firm growing until his retirement in 1914.
The Building: 107 and 109 West Second Street in Davenport, Iowa Lot purchased in 1873 for $12,000 Building completed September 1875
Demolition: J. Frahm Foundation: John Hiller Brick and stonework: Clark and Potter Woodwork: J. Frahm Inner columns, etc.: Eagle Manufacturing Company Tin roof: Lerch Brothers Architect: F. G. Clausen Architectural style: Renaissance
Later location of Davenport Savings Bank
The Proprietors – Beiderbecke and Miller. Wholesale Grocers. Frank H. Miller (1836 - ) came to Davenport from Indianapolis in the spring of 1856 and went into partnership with his brother in a grocery business at the corner of Gaines and Second Streets. Charles Beiderbecke, a friend of Miller’s from Indianapolis, visited Davenport in the fall of 1856, bought out Miller’s brother and the Beiderbecke and Miller partnership began.
During the early lean years, the partners also ran a vinegar factory which enabled them to financially make ends meet, until a fire in 1862 destroyed their store and factory.
34 images (34 images in 1 file.)
Language of Materials
Range 42 Section 01
Immediate Source of Acquisition
cd-rom successfully opened for viewing September 25, 2007. Images taken Aug2006 at 300 dpi; bit depth 24; saved as jpeg images.
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center Repository
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490 United States