Skip to main content

Accounting Department at AT&T telephone office 1913

 Collection
Identifier: 2006-07

Scope and Contents

This collection contains 1 black and white copy of photo mounted on non acid free paper labeled "1913 Accounting Department at new telephone office 6th and Main Street" size 8" x 10". 1913 Davenport City Directory lists American Telephone and Telegraph Company at Main, southwest corner Sixth and Iowa Telephone Copany Main southwest corner West Sixth.

Dates

  • 1913

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Materials are available for use in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center only.

Request permission before copying materials.

Personal digital cameras and scanners are allowed in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center on a case-by-case basis. The items that a researcher may want to scan or photograph must be examined and evaluated for physical condition, copyright issues, and donor restrictions by staff.

Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

The copyright law of the United States (title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material.

Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

Biographical / Historical

The Iowa Telephone Company constructed a new telephone building at the southeast corner of Sixth and Main Streets in 1901 and opened it in February 1902 serving 1,600 telephones in the city. The demand in service increased quickly, and another larger building was erected on the southwest corner of 6th and Main Streets, ready for occupation October 26, 1912. This building met the demands of the city until 1928 when the addition of a second central office was required. No specific information pertaining to the Accounting Department has been determined.

Extent

1 Photographic Prints (in 1 photograph.)

Language of Materials

English

Physical Location

Range 42 Section 01

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift

Physical Description

good
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center Repository

Contact:
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490 United States



About the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center:

The Special Collections Department of the Davenport Public Library was established in 1982. In November of 1999, the newly renovated department opened to better serve its community and was renamed the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center. The Center acquires, arranges, describes, preserves, and makes available local history and genealogical materials concentrating on those pertaining to Davenport, Scott County, and Eastern Iowa.

Books and other printed materials in the collection can be found using a Library Search. For additional digital resources, browse the Upper Mississippi Valley Digital Image Archive. For more information about specific subjects relating to Scott County History, please browse the Research Guides.
Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center
Davenport Public Library
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490
(563) 326-7902
specialcollections@davenportlibrary.com