Bishop Henry Cosgrove photograph
Scope and Contents
One black and white photographic image which appears to be printed, possibly upon the occasion of his death, which was removed from a frame. Information printed under the image states Cosgrove's dates of birth, ordination, and death. Theimage shows him seated, looking downward to the photographer's left. He is wearing a dark robe and cape. The photograph is credited to Allen.
- Creation: 1900s
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials are available for use in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center only.
Request permission before copying materials.
Personal digital cameras and scanners are allowed in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center on a case-by-case basis. The items that a researcher may want to scan or photograph must be examined and evaluated for physical condition, copyright issues, and donor restrictions by staff.
Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.
The copyright law of the United States (title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
Biographical / Historical
Second bishop of Davenport, Iowa; b. Williamsport, Pa., Dec. 19, 1833; d. Davenport, Dec. 22, 1906. A few years after his birth, his parents, John and Bridget (Kane) Cosgrove, moved to Hollidaysburg, Pa., then in 1845 to Dubuque, Iowa. There he was educated by pioneer priests, one of whom, Joseph Cretin, later first bishop of St. Paul, Minn., was his particular adviser. In 1852 Bp.J. M. P. Loras of Dubuque sent Cosgrove to study philosophy at St. Mary's Seminary, The Barrens, near Cape Girardeau, Mo. After a year he returned to study theology at Mt. St. Bernard's Seminary at Table Mound near Dubuque, where he remained for two years. Subsequently he completed his studies at the St. Louis diocesan seminary, Carondelet, and was ordained (Aug. 27, 1857) in the old cathedral at Dubuque by Bp. Clement Smyth, OCSO.
First appointed to St. Margaret's Church in Davenport in September 1857, he became pastor of the same church in 1861. When the new Diocese of Davenport was created (1881), he remained as rector of the cathedral and vicar-general to the first bishop, John McMullen. On the death of McMullen (1883), Cosgrove administered the diocese until his own appointment (July 20, 1884) as second bishop of Davenport, the first American-born bishop appointed west of the Mississippi. He was consecrated at St. Margaret's Cathedral (Sept. 14, 1884) by Abp. P. A. Feehan of Chicago, Ill.
Cosgrove was distinguished as a pastor, preacher, and educator. He built the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Davenport (1890–91), where his remains are buried under the main vestibule. St. Ambrose College, founded in 1882, was incorporated and built at its present location in 1885. He founded St. Vincent's Diocesan Orphanage and numerous parishes and parochial schools in his diocese, which grew in Catholic population from about 45,000 with 79 priests in 1884 to about 70,000 with 135 priests in 1906. He was a leader in projects to settle Catholic immigrants in the Middle West and in organizing the Roman Catholic Mutual Protection Society of Iowa. from https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/cosgrove-henry on 22Jul2020
1 images (1 folder in archive box with 2004-60 thru 2004-66)
Language of Materials
Range 42 Section 8
Immediate Source of Acquisition
brittle-upper corner broken off
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center Repository
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490 United States