Skip to main content

V.F.W. Military Band Image

 Collection
Identifier: 2015-35

Scope and Contents

This collection contains one 8 x 10", black and white, photographic print of a band marching on the street with the label, "Initial Public Appearance of V.F.W. Military Band F.W. Galbraith Post 828 Davenport Iowa. Iowa-Illinois Memorial Bridge Dedication. November 18, 1935."

Dates

  • 1935 November 18

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Materials are available for use in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center only.

Request permission before copying materials.

Personal digital cameras and scanners are allowed in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center on a case-by-case basis. The items that a researcher may want to scan or photograph must be examined and evaluated for physical condition, copyright issues, and donor restrictions by staff.

Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

The copyright law of the United States (title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material.

Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

Biographical / Historical

The Iowa-Illinois Memorial Bridge between Moline, Illinois and Bettendorf, Iowa was formally dedicated on Monday, November 18, 1935. Music during the preliminary and final ceremonies was furnished by the F. W. Galbraith post of Veterans of Foreign Wars, International Harvester Coompany band, Clinton post of Veterans of Foreign Wars, and Davenport, Rock Island, and Moline Legion drum and bugle corps. The musical units also paraded throughout the business sections of the Quad-Cities following the dedication.


The F.W. Galbraith Post 828 was founded June 13, 1921 and is still active in 2016.

Extent

1 Photographic Prints (in 1 folder.)

Language of Materials

English

Physical Location

Range 44 Section 2 Photo Box 3

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift

Physical Description

good - small chip upper right corner

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center Repository

Contact:
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490 United States



About the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center:

The Special Collections Department of the Davenport Public Library was established in 1982. In November of 1999, the newly renovated department opened to better serve its community and was renamed the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center. The Center acquires, arranges, describes, preserves, and makes available local history and genealogical materials concentrating on those pertaining to Davenport, Scott County, and Eastern Iowa.

Books and other printed materials in the collection can be found using a Library Search. For additional digital resources, browse the Upper Mississippi Valley Digital Image Archive. For more information about specific subjects relating to Scott County History, please browse the Research Guides.
Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center
Davenport Public Library
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490
(563) 326-7902
specialcollections@davenportlibrary.com