Skip to main content

Black Hawk Hiking Club of the Tri-Cities Bulletin

Identifier: 2023-21

Scope and Contents

This collection of bulletins includes the years 1932-1980, 1982-1983, 1993-1994, 1997-1999.


  • Creation: 1932-1999

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Materials are available for use in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center only.

Request permission before copying materials.

Personal digital cameras and scanners are allowed in the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center on a case-by-case basis. The items that a researcher may want to scan or photograph must be examined and evaluated for physical condition, copyright issues, and donor restrictions by staff.

Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

The copyright law of the United States (title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material.

Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

Biographical / Historical

The Black Hawk Hiking Club was organized in 1920 and incorporated in 1936.

From their website: Black Hawk Hiking Club conducts hikes weekly or bi-weekly at a variety of sites, both public and privately owned, in and around the Quad Cities area. Hikes are scheduled from November to early June with only one event, the Annual Big Hike, held during the summer months. The Club takes pride in the fact that in its years of existence, no scheduled event has ever been cancelled. The Club's objective is "the promotion of outdoor recreation in the form of hikes and outings, camping and canoeing, while encouraging the love of nature".

The first Big Hike was held in 1920, destination Starved Rock and Indiana Sand dunes, mode of transportation one Pierce Arrow truck and one passenger car. The 31 participants rode in the back of the open truck, total cost per person $12. Since that time the Big Hike has been somewhat more sophisticated, but just as much fun.

The Club is an incorporated, non-profit organization with no paid staff and few physical assets. Membership is open to anyone after their third hike with us and upon payment of dues, $10 per individual and $20 per family of 3 or more. Hikes and special events are planned by elected officers and directors, with only one annual business meeting for the entire membership. Members receive an annual Bulletin which lists the location of each hike and special event. Guests are welcome to attend.


8 Linear Inch (in one clamshell box.)

Language of Materials


Physical Location

Range 33 Section 09

Immediate Source of Acquisition


Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center Repository

321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490 United States

About the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center:

The Special Collections Department of the Davenport Public Library was established in 1982. In November of 1999, the newly renovated department opened to better serve its community and was renamed the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center. The Center acquires, arranges, describes, preserves, and makes available local history and genealogical materials concentrating on those pertaining to Davenport, Scott County, and Eastern Iowa.

Books and other printed materials in the collection can be found using a Library Search. For additional digital resources, browse the Upper Mississippi Valley Digital Image Archive. For more information about specific subjects relating to Scott County History, please browse the Research Guides.
Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center
Davenport Public Library
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490
(563) 326-7902