Skip to main content

Charles John Schellhorn collection

 Collection
Identifier: 2021-01

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of a German language Bible of unknown date and origin that had several pressed leaves and a vocabulary list of English words within its pages. There is no personal information recorded in the volume.

The pressed leaves were between pages 254-255, 636-637 and the oak leave between 850-8551. The Vocabulary list was found between pages 462-463.

Additionally one original page of the German language Davenport newspaper, the Iowa Reform, from 19 April 1940 pages 3 and 4 which contains an article about Schellhorn's retirement is included.

Dates

  • 1940

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Biographical / Historical

Charles John Schellhorn was born 26 Feb 1867 in Garmisch, Bavaria and immigrated to the United States at the age of thirteen by himself. He was sponsored by his older brother John Schellhorn who was a potter in Muscatine, Iowa. Charles worked for 52 years operating the street cars in Davenport. He started in 1888 working on a two-mule car, then had the distinction of operating the first electric street car in Davenport and then the last electric street car. He married Louise Arp on 2 Apr 1897 and retired in 1940. Charlie Schellhorn died 15 Feb 1955 and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery.

Extent

1 Volumes (in 2.5" manuscript box) : wrapped Bible and folder containing items that were found in the Bible

Language of Materials

German

Physical Location

Range 35 Section 4 Bible and Map Case 2 Drawer 7 - Iowa Reform Newspaper

Separated Materials

Iowa Reform Newspaper (Davenport, Iowa) 19 April 1940 pages 3 and 4

assigned to Ephemera--Biography--Schellhorn, Charles John

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center Repository

Contact:
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490 United States



About the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center:

The Special Collections Department of the Davenport Public Library was established in 1982. In November of 1999, the newly renovated department opened to better serve its community and was renamed the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center. The Center acquires, arranges, describes, preserves, and makes available local history and genealogical materials concentrating on those pertaining to Davenport, Scott County, and Eastern Iowa.

Books and other printed materials in the collection can be found using a Library Search. For additional digital resources, browse the Upper Mississippi Valley Digital Image Archive. For more information about specific subjects relating to Scott County History, please browse the Research Guides.
Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center
Davenport Public Library
321 Main Street
Davenport IA 52801-1490
(563) 326-7902
specialcollections@davenportlibrary.com